Wall Street was cut off. Must have been 700+ attending.
Action on the red carpet. The reporters and producers of the “Science of Sex,” left to right: Anne Machalinski, me, Aili McConnon.
More red carpet.
Beastie Boys, honored as artists of the year. Beastie oldies.
More pics after the jump.
The production of the night was over-the-top seamless – at least from a service and organization pov. Bravo, to the team at Webby HQ!
But here are some brief notes:
1) Rob Corddry wasn’t funny. He leaned on the shock-value, f-this and f-that and peppermint shampoo jokes. He looked like he had no interest in being there. Maybe since the birth of his daughter, Sloane, he’d rather be home in L.A. – I don’t blame him.
Maybe he’s just got new priorities, beyond hosting the Webbys? Where to next?
2) The video animation of the little “cluster” intros were terrific.
3) No one performed! Nothing! (Prince played last year AND smashed his guitar on the stage.) — and this year, with Bowie and Beastie Boys and nothing. Like Corddry, they didn’t want to be there either. I think it was an obligation? Really?
4) The sound system in Ciprani’s has limited range – distortion hits fast as soon as you walk five to seven tables in either direction from the dead center of the room. (Hey. Better sound! C’mon!) It was so distorted that folks started talking through the five-word speeches. (I know boredom kicks in too – but if we could hear them, we might have hung on longer!)
5) I wanted to see more “reviews of the year”- perhaps a short produced retrospective? More than “Dick in a Box?”